According to sources, Marvel Studios may be actively developing the Silver Surfer movie. With that being said, the sources are unnamed, so this will have to go into the rumor pile for now. But, a movie based on Norrin Radd would be huge and Kevin Feige is more than likely the right choice to see it through. One has to really wonder if Feige even sleeps with all of the projects that are currently in various stages of development at Marvel Studios.
Step Brothers director and Ant-Man co-writer Adam McKay has expressed interest in a potential Silver Surfer movie. He spoke about wanting to be a part of the project back in 2018, but at that time, the movie didn't seem like it could ever happen at Marvel Studios. A lot has changed in a year. McKay had this to say about the project last year.
" Silver Surfer is the one I want to do, man. I would do anything to do Silver Surfer because, visually, you could do what the Wachowskis did with Speed Racer with the Silver Surfer. At the same time, there's a great emotional story in there, man, where Norrin Radd Silver Surfer has to make the choice to save his planet. That would be the one, but I think Fox owns the rights..."
The MCU's Phase 4 is up next and will start with the long-awaited Black Widow standalone movie. The next phase will have a lot of MCUTV shows on the Disney+ streaming service and will wrap on the big screen by the end of 2022. With Blade and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 on the way, there is still a ton of room for X-Men, Fantastic Four, and hopefully Silver Surfer too. We'll just have to wait and see what the highly secretive Marvel Studios chooses to share publicly in the next few months.
Related: Fox Has 5 More X-Men Movies Planned Through 2020
In addition to the Silver Surfer rumors, it has also been said that Tyrant and Galactus are coming to the MCU. Both characters fit into the Norrin Radd's story, so there could be some official announcements coming soon. The Silver Surfermovie news comes to us from the Geeks WorldWide, who generally have a pretty good track record when it comes to their sources. But, even if Marvel Studios is actively developing the movie, we won't know until a director and writer is in place.
When I attended Disney’s D23 Expo in Anaheim over the weekend, I witnessed a world filled to the brim with everything that one would expect. Mickey Mouse was there, obviously, along with a cosplay extravaganza of princesses, pirates, stormtroopers, and superheroes. The two biggest presentations Disney+ and Walt Disney Studios kept spirits high while unveiling tidal waves of new TV and movie content for the next few years, and overall, the event consisted of three days of nerd paradise.
Oh, and the Haunted Mansion also held an event to celebrate its 50th anniversary, but the real haunting - the Sony-Marvel Studios split over Spider-Man - overwhelmed the expo as a whole. One would have been hard-pressed to forget the increasingly likely prospect of never seeing Peter Parker in the MCU again, especially with that news dropping only a few days prior to panels like artist Brian Crosby stage shown above showing hopeful D23 civilians how to draw the teenaged superhero in costumed glory.
Of course, this is only one example of the Spidey-oriented festivities scattered throughout the weekend. The real kicker arrived at the end of Saturday evening, at Marvel’s 80th Anniversary panel, hosted by Marvel Comics Editor-in-Chief C.B. Cebulski and Executive Editor Tom Brevoort. They unveiled a special edition issue, Marvel Comics #1000, due to arrive on shelves on August 28. As one can see, this is the first time that Mickey Mouse will join members of The Avengers in the comics, and he’s presenting a celebratory cake to Spider-Man.
Yeah, this sight hits pretty hard. Early on in this same panel, Cebulski referred to Spider-Man as “this guy … that we are legally prevented from mentioning” before setting aside pretenses and uttering “Spider-Man” freely because the character infiltrated nearly every subtopic of conversation. It’s not like this could be avoided. Spider-Man’s webbing is an integral part of the Marvel Comics DNA. While running through the entirety of Marvel Comics history in this panel - and Spidey is embedded throughout the fabric of almost every title with crossovers, team-ups, and the like - Cebulski unavoidably mentioned how Sony acquired the Spidey license prior to Kevin Feige launching Marvel Studios. A chorus of angry boos then erupted from within the Stage 28 crowd.
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has issued his first public comments about the Disney/Sony dispute over future Spider-Man film financing.
“I'm feeling about Spider-Man gratitude and joy,” Feige said, speaking at D23's Entertainment Weekly booth. “We got to make five films within the MCU with Spider-Man: two standalone films and three with the Avengers. It was a dream that I never thought would happen. It was never meant to last forever. We knew there was a finite amount of time that we'd be able to do this, and we told the story we wanted to tell, and I'll always be thankful for that.”
Earlier this week, Deadline's Mike Fleming broke the story about Disney seeking a 50/50 co-fi stake sources said the original Disney ask was more reasonable as the price for Marvel and Feige's continued guiding hand on the films, which resulted in the delivery of Sony's biggest-grossing film ever. The dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige participation and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.
This comes at a moment when the last two films Kevin Feige produced broke all-time records — Disney's Avengers: Endgame became the highest-grossing film of all time, and Spider-Man: Far From Home this week surpassed the James Bond film Skyfall to become the all-time highest-grossing film for Sony Pictures
Sony declined to meet those terms or even counter with anything worth considering. It was an aggressive stance by Disney, which already owns the merchandise on Spider-Man, and a tough nut for Sony to swallow, giving up half of its most valuable franchise. But these talks had been going on for some time. Had Sony agreed to Disney's ask, Marvel and Feige would not have withdrawn from the Spider-Man films, sources said.
Sony is planning two more Spider-Man installments, though it is an open question whether those will include Jon Watts, director of the first two films guided creatively by Feige.
It might be melodramatic to suggest that Marvel Studios has something to prove this weekend at Disney’s D23 Expo in Anaheim, but there’s no denying that Hollywood’s most bankable brand has reached a crossroads as it moves forward without some of its signature stars and characters.
This week, Deadline scored the biggest industry scoop of the year with the exclusive news that the Spider-Man character is been deported from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and returned to his native Sony. A money squabble between studios nixed the wall-crawler’s cinematic dual citizenship. Popular young actor Tom Holland leaves the MCU with the character and both losses are bitter disappointments for Feige.
Feige loses more than a world-class movie property with the Sony repossession of Spider-Man, he loses a personal sentimental favorite. Feige’s admiration, appreciation, and affection for the late Stan Lee has always been genuine one and Spider-Man was Lee’s signature creation and most beloved character. Reeling Spider-Man into the MCU was a point of pride for Feige and seeing him go now so soon after the November 2018 death of Lee likely makes both those losses hurt even more.
The mega-successes of Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home capped Marvel Studios’ amazing first decade in Hollywood, but each also marks the end of an era. Robert Downey Jr. who has appeared in 10 Marvel films and Chris Evans 11 Marvel films have exited the superhero ensemble, and Scarlett Johansson seven films is not far behind them after the solo Black Widow feature film slotted for May 1, 2020.
Adding to the shuffle, two other Avengers, Thor Chris Hemsworth and Hawkeye Jeremy Renner, will each surrender their superhero spot to female replacements - Jane Foster Natalie Portman and Kaet Bishop, respectively - in their next screen iteration.
Feige will lay out his plans for Disney+ which include shows for Loki, Vision & Scarlet Witch, Falcon and Winter Solider on Friday and run through his big-screen plans they likely include The Eternals, Black Panther 2, Shang Chi, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 on Saturday. Fans are eagerly watching both days to see how Fox properties including the Fantastic Four and the X-Men fit into either Marvel front.
Marvel’s approach to the Fox characters is where Feige could unleash the biggest surprise as well as a headline that could compete with the Spider-Man story. Don’t be surprised if Marvel eases into the Fox universe by blending known MCU characters with prominent Fox properties. One authentic way to do that, for example, would be to adapt a Marvel Comics property like The Defenders. Created in 1971, the super-group’s most famous members include three native MCU heroes Doctor Strange, the Hulk, and Valkyrie, two notable Fox properties the Silver Surfer and the Angel from the X-Men franchise as well as Luke Cage just cut loose from Netflix and available to be called up to the majors.
There are plenty of non-Marvel headlines expected out of D23, too, with the full slate of Disney+ and the release this December of the finale Star Wars installment of the Skywalker saga. The return of Frozen and High School Musical, for instance, are topics of high intrigue for many D23 fans.
In light of Disney’s recent box-office domination with five films crossing the billion-dollar mark already this year, calling the D23 convention a “Mickey Mouse version of Comic-Con” may no longer technically qualify as a putdown.
The big focus on Day 1 will be Disney CEO and chairman Bob Iger’s afternoon preview of Disney+, the subscription streaming service that he’s been framing as a historic initiative for the company. On Day 2, the spotlight shifts to big-screen content with Walt Disney Studios chief creative officer and co-chairman Alan Horn hosting a preview of the upcoming feature-film slate. Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm will be major components of both presentations of both the Iger and Horn previews, which are staged in the Anaheim Convention Center’s largest hall with seating for 6,800 fans, slightly larger than Hall H at Comic-Con International.
The biennial D23 Expo it is staged in odd-numbered years started in 2009 as a big-tent promotional event for all-things-Disney theme parks, cruise line, video games, publishing, etc. and as a premium to be offered by Disney’s namesake D23 Fan Club the name is a nod to 1923, the company’s launch year.
The tent gets more crowded with each return. This year, for instance, there’s a notable newcomer among the sleek and elaborate exhibition installations: Inside the World of Avatar, a nod to Fox’s landmark 2009 film which has already yielded a Disney theme-park attraction in Orlando. Disney’s Fox acquisition set the stage for much more than that: Disney is set to announce four Avatar sequels between 2021 and 2027.
The emphasis on Disney+ this weekend includes a big sign-up push for the subscription streaming service. Fans will be able to try out the interface on site and a significant discount is being offered. Disney+ was already making a bid for marketplace ubiquity with the streaming service’s relatively modest price-point $7 a month or $70 a year but D23 fans will be enticed to seal the deal with a discount of $23 off per year with a three-year commitment, averaging out to be 33% off the standard annual price.
The D23 kicks off this morning with the Disney Legends ceremony, which has become one of the more impressive tributes in show business. Two Marvel cornerstones, Iron Man tandem of star Downey and filmmaker Jon Favreau, are among the honorees. This year’s crop of honorees from across Disney’s entertainment empire are an especially eclectic group: Downey, Favreau, Christina Aguilera, Wing Chao, James Earl Jones, Bette Midler, Kenny Ortega, Barnette Ricci, Robin Roberts, Diane Sawyer, Ming-Na Wen, and Hans Zimmer.
Following news that Sony and Marvel Studios are parting ways on future Spider-Man movies with Kevin Feige stepping away from producing them and Sony holding onto onscreen rights, it’s safe to say that things feel chaotic for Spidey fans. There’s every possibility that Peter Parker won’t surface in the MCU again unless the two studios hammer out an amended deal. Sony has issued a statement that clarifies their disappointment, but one person who isn’t upset happens to have been very close to Spider-Man’s co-creator.
Stan Lee’s daughter, Joan Celia Lee, told TMZ that her father likely would have co-signed this week’s surprise happenings. She’s also not impressed by Disney/Marvel Studios attempting to secure a 50/50 stake in Spidey dollars. Joan Celia insists that Sony made the right move in pulling away from the partnership for the next two Tom Holland movies and that moving the character out of the MCU will honor her father’s creations and preserve his legacy:
“When my father died, no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me. From day one, they have commoditized my father’s work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency … In the end, no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney’s executives.”
TMZ suggests that Joan Celia was also not thrilled about “cameos” made by Spider-Man, meaning that he doesn’t receive enough screen time in Avengers movies? That’s a little fuzzy, especially since the same could be said loads of MCU superheroes, and the outlet doesn’t actually quote her using that word. Perhaps we’ll see a followup on that note.
Meanwhile and speaking of family members, Tom Holland’s dad, British author and comedian Dominic Holland, made his stance clear as well. He clearly wants Spidey to stay in the MCU.
— Dominic Holland @domholland August 21, 2019
Yet Tom Holland himself hasn’t said anything unlike Jeremy Renner and Ryan Reynolds about his character being the focus of all this ruckus. Given that he’s a wordy bloke who’s sometimes prone to say too much, it’s a noticeable omission. Then again, there’s nothing that he could say that wouldn’t be twisted 5000 ways, so it’s probably best for him to say nothing at all.
Disney and Sony Pictures have failed to reach new terms that would have given the former a 50/50 co-financing stake going forward, which means that the web slinger will no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe MCU, according to Deadline.
On the last two Spider-Man movies, “Spider-Man: Homecoming” and “Spider-Man: Far From Home,” Disney took a smaller percentage of profits from each roughly 5% of first dollar gross, in exchange for Sony allowing Marvel to use the character in “Captain America: Civil War,” “Avengers: Infinity War,” and “Avengers: Endgame.” It was likely inevitable that Disney would want to renegotiate the agreement in favor of a more equitable deal between the two major studios on future Spidey movies.
According to the Deadline report, Disney’s offer for a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, which might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe, wasn’t even met by a counter from Sony, suggesting that the latter isn’t currently interesting in even entertaining a renegotiation of the current agreement.
Clearly, as Sony begins building its own Spider-Man expanded universe, with box office hits in “Venom” and “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” both with sequels on the way, the studio just simply does not want to share profits from its most important franchise. It also has a Morbius film with Jared Leto, as well as Kraven the Hunter, and another spinoff with the characters Silver Sable and Black Cat.
This news comes after “Spider-Man: Far From Home,” which is being re-released in a few weeks, became Sony's highest-grossing film of all time. And with two more Spider-Man films in development with both director Jon Watts and star Tom Holland attached, it means that Marvel chief Kevin Feige will not be involved as lead creative producer, unless some kind of deal is reached. But with neither studio seemingly willing to budge, it appears unlikely to happen.
Although, in response to a request for comment from Sony, the studio, reticent about speaking in detail on the matter, told IndieWire simply: “Kevin [Feige] always had a hand in the movies he didn't have a producer credit on – ‘Venom,’ etc. This comes down to producer credit only and our understanding is negotiations are ongoing.”
But should an MCU that now includes the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool franchises, indeed continue forward minus Spider-Man, that scenario would certainly be disappointing for fans of the MCU. Especially if, even if it was just for a short while, all of Marvel's heroes were under the same roof.
Post Fox deal, Feige certainly has his hands full with existing properties, especially as Disney+ launches in the fall, but gaining control of one of the most popular superhero characters of all time, would have been a coup.
But Sony clearly believes it doesn’t need Marvel, but time will certainly tell.