During a Thursday visit to 'Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen,' the actress and author of 'Home Work' explains why she "wasn't ready" to star alongside Leonardo DiCaprio in the 2013 Martin Scorcese film.
Julie Andrews discussed some of her iconic roles, including the one that got away, during a Thursday visit to Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen.
Making an appearance to celebrate the release of her new memoir, Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years, Andrews looked back on her career, including having regrets about turning down the role of Aunt Emma in Martin Scorcese's 2013 film The Wolf of Wall Street.
After admitting that she regrets not starring in the film, Andrews explained why the role simply arrived at the wrong time. "I had an operation. I'm a bionic woman. I have a titanium ankle," she said, before also joking, "I was so truly stoned from all the drugs that I had to take just to take the pain away."
Ultimately, Andrews says, she "just wasn't ready" to return to work even though she wish she had been. "I would've loved to do it," she said of the film. The film, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill, went on to receive five Oscar nominations. Joanna Lumley would go on to star as Aunt Emma in the film.
Though missing out on starring in the Scorcese film, Andrews did, however, star in the Princess Diaries franchise as Queen Clarisse Renaldi. The second film debuted in 2004, with rumors circulating around a possible third film still to this day. During an appearance on Cohen's show, Anne Hathaway confirmed that there was in fact a script for a third installment and that both she and Andrews would love to do the film.
When asked to respond to the rumors, Andrews admitted she hasn't heard anything just yet. "The truth is I haven't heard. There's been talk about it for quite awhile. I think she's [Hathaway] had or is having a second child. She's busy and I've been busy."
She went on to say that should the film not happen, she would definitely hear about it. "I think if it happens it will be lovely and if it doesn't I wouldn't have known about it."
Despite Andrews having starred in a myriad of films throughout her career, Andrews role as Mary Poppins continues to be one of her most beloved, even inspiring a revamped version with Emily Blunt taking the reigns as the beloved nanny.
"I loved it," Andrews said of Mary Poppins Returns. "The first film was made over 60 years ago. I think it's about time a second one was allowed." She also addressed the criticism the film may have received for those comparing it to that of the 1964 original with Andrews. "This had nothing to do with the first one. it wasn't as if they were repeating the first story. They had umpteen books in the vault... they had to make a new one."
She also admitted that she hopes another film will be made years later for another generation.
Natalie Portman’s big return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in “Thor: Love and Thunder” has created the possibility for Jane Foster’s breast cancer storyline in the comic books to be represented on the big screen. “Thor” director Taika Waititi sparked rumors earlier this month that Jane’s breast cancer storyline was a possibility for his next sequel. Variety caught up with Portman this week at an L.A. Dance Project fundraising gala and asked the actress to weigh in on the rumor. The Oscar winner is hopeful Jane’s breast cancer storyline makes the cut, although she has yet to see a “Thor 4” script.
“It's just very rare that these kinds of big entertainment films look at more serious, real-life issues,” Portman said. “I really don't know anything about it. I haven't seen anything, but I've heard the same rumors as you have, and it's exciting to think about.”
Waititi originally said that Jane’s cancer was a “really powerful part of the books” that he was considering making a part of his upcoming movie. “I think it's really cool that she's fighting this thing and there's two battles going on,” the filmmaker said. “Personally I really love that storyline. But whether it ends up in the film is yet to be seen.”
The filmmaker added, “We're not sure if we're going to do a complete lift of that whole storyline. These things change through the shoot and even when we're editing sometimes. “Like, 'Let's get rid of that storyline where she's got breast cancer. We'll change it to something else, or maybe she's fine.’”
Portman last appeared as Jane in a major role in 2013’s “Thor: The Dark World.” The actress sat out Waititi’s “Thor: Ragnarok” and made an appearance in this year’s “Avengers: Endgame” using leftover “Dark World” footage. Portman will be paired with both Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson in “Thor: Love and Thunder,” which will also bring back Waititi’s fan favorite motion-capture character Korg.
Disney and Marvel have already announced “Thor: Love and Thunder” will open in theaters nationwide November 5, 2021. Waititi is currently promoting his latest directional effort, “Jojo Rabbit,” and he will film Fox Searchlight’s soccer comedy “Next Goal Wins” before starting production on “Thor 4” in 2020.
Are Tom Hardy and Tom Holland finally going to meet up in Venom 2? A lot of Marvel fans seem to think Hardy was hinting at it on social media. Fans wanted to see Holland's Peter Parker run into Hardy's Eddie Brock in last year's Venom, but it was not to be. Now that the sequel is getting ready to begin production, there is hope that Holland will be on board this time, at least for a few scenes or a small cameo.
Tom Hardy recently posted a picture of himself in a Spider-Man costume and then promptly deleted it. The quick deletion is why the speculation has started all over again about Tom Holland possibly appearing in Venom 2. With Sony and Marvel Studios all cozy again after a new agreement, throwing Holland into the Venom movies may have been some extra leverage. It is believed they wanted Spider-Man in the first movie, but Kevin Feige reportedly said it wasn't a good fit.
Production is about to start on Venom 2 with director Andy Serkis on board. Tom Holland just shared his new haircut on social media for his new movie, Cherry, with the Russo Brothers, so it looks like there is already a scheduling conflict, though that could all be worked around during reshoots. Regardless, we know this is something that the studio wants to see happen and something the fans really want to see happen, but whether it happens or not will remain to be a mystery, at least until next fall when the movie is scheduled to hit theaters.
Related: Venom 2 Could Be R-Rated If Sony & Marvel Never Reach an Agreement
Adding further complication to the matter are rumors that Disney and Marvel Studios are looking to give Sony $5 billion for the sole rights of Spider-Man. Obviously, this is just an unconfirmed rumor at this time, but if it happens, there's a good chance Tom Holland won't be mingling with Tom Hardy on the big screen any time soon. There are a lot of variables, but in most of them, Sony has the upper hand since they own the rights and are currently just sharing with Marvel Studios for the Spider-Man: Far From Home sequel and one more Marvel Cinematic Universe movie.
Both Tom Hardy and Tom Holland would like to see Venom and Spider-Man meet up on the big screen. And if we know anything, Holland is pretty good at getting exactly what he wants, as evidenced by the latest deal between Sony and Marvel Studios. If Holland puts his weight behind it, we could very well end up seeing Peter Parker and Eddie Brock in Venom 2. For now, we'll just have to wait and see how complicated the web gets between the two studios coming up. You can check out the Hardy Spider-Man image below, thanks to the Tom Hardy Daily Twitter account.
It is exactly the kind of result that Bobby Axelrod likes but really doesn't appreciate, if you know what I mean?
A federal judge has granted Showtime's motion to toss out a copyright infringement case from well-known performance coach Denise Shull against Billions series creators Brian Koppelman David Levien and Andrew Ross Sorkin, the premium cabler itself, executive David Nevins and the pay TV network's corporate parent, CBS.
However, as deeply and harshly as U.S. District Judge George Daniels eviscerates the suit filed earlier this year that claims the Maggie Siff portrayed Dr. Wendy Rhoades was “ripped off” Shull herself, lawyers for the Market Mind Games author say this isn't over — by a long shot.
“We have reviewed the Court's decision and respectfully disagree with the court's ruling,” stated attorney Michael James Malory to Deadline today on the October 4 decision by Judge Daniels. “Ms. Shull intends to file an appeal,” the NYC-based CKR Law LLP lawyer added.
“We expect that Ms. Shull will issue a further statement after the court conference scheduled for tomorrow.”
Like the Axe Capital founder played by Damien Lewis on Billions, Showtime took a different approach in what they clearly view more than a transactional ruling late last week. You could almost say it was a rewriting of sorts of the series mantra of “leave them with nothing,” almost
“We are pleased that the court agreed with our position all along that Billions did not infringe on Denise Shull's book and that the characters of Wendy Rhoades and Denise Shull 'do not resemble one another in the slightest,'” said the CBS-owned cabler on Monday.
To be perfectly clear, as that greater hustler Richard Nixon would say, Judge Daniels goes a little bit harder and deeper than that over the copyright claims — which makes the form any appeal may take all the more intriguing.
“The problem here, as Defendants aptly point out, is that these works do not seem to resemble each other in the least,” says the Judge, while noting that Shull and the Billions team met on several occasions in the process of developing the show and that the performance coach was on Sorkin's CNBC Squawk Box show to talk Market Mind Games.
“And the issue does not lie in the fact that one is a book and one is a television show, but the fact that Plaintiffs' work is an academic work which interweaves fiction to better help the reader understand Shull' s ideas, while Defendants' work is a television show, based in the Southern District of New York, to demonstrate the drama that lies in the age old trifecta of money, power, and sex,” Judge Daniels asserts in the order read it here.
“Although Shull is well known in the performance coaching world, it cannot be said that she can copyright the idea of a female in-house performance coach,” the U.S. District Judge goes on to say in his detailed 34-page memorandum decision and order of late last week. “Inherent in a copyright is the grant of exclusivity. Granting Plaintiffs exclusivity in this particular idea is precarious, as it would essentially grant Shull a monopoly on the entire subject matter of the female performance coach until the expiration of her copyright”
Then comes that phrase Showtime like so much: “A finding of copyright infringement in this case would serve to be even more troubling, as the character of Denise and Wendy do not resemble one another in the slightest.”
We'll see what argument Shull's appeal resembles and articulates when it is filed. The motion to adjourn conference is inked in for 9:45 AM ET tomorrow, so we should know more from Shull soon afterwards.
In the meantime, so you know — Showtime, CBS and the Billions EP are represented by Elizabeth A. McNamara and a team from Davis Wright Tremaine LLP's New York office.
The Malaysian High Court was presented with a document that showed $9 million was sent from fugitive businessman Jho Low to producers of the Oscar-nominated film, prosecutors claimed.
Prosecutors in the 1 Malaysia Development Bhd 1MDB trial have produced a document they claim reveals a $9 million advance to the producers of the Oscar-nominated The Wolf of Wall Street from a company owned by fugitive businessman Jho Low.
The High Court in the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur got a document that showed that the transaction, made in September 2012, involved the “Red Granite Productions, Inc” account at City National Bank Los Angeles and was paid as “advances for Wolf of Wall Street Movie for ACHL,” according to multiple local media reports. The money apparently came from Low's Good Star Ltd.
Red Granite Productions Inc. was the Los Angeles-based film-making outfit responsible for the Martin Scorsese-directed The Wolf of Wall Street, along with Scott Cooper's Out of the Furnace and Alexandre Aja's Horns.
It was founded by Riza Aziz, stepson of disgraced former Malaysian prime minister Najib Razak whose case is at the heart of the 1MDB scandal.
Aziz founded Red Granite in 2010, alongside Joey McFarland who ran its production arm. Aziz faces five charges of laundering around $250 million out of the 1MDB fund. He faces up to 25 years in prison if found guilty of the charges and is currently out on bail.
Now into its fifth week, the current 1MDB trial is focused on Razak, who faces 42 charges linked to theft of around $4.5 billion from the sovereign wealth fund.
Malaysian media reported the surprise document was produced last Thursday during lead prosecutor Gopal Sri Ram's examination of prosecution witness and former 1MDB CEO Shahrol Azral Ibrahim Halmi.
Halmi said he was aware of what Red Granite Pictures was and that he had read that “Red Granite was using money that was allegedly siphoned from 1MDB”, according to media reports.
But Halmi denied having any knowledge of or even having seen a number of documents produced by the prosecution team.
Prosecutors are continuing to lay out their case against Razak, while dates for the trial of Aziz have been tentatively set for Jan. 6-Jan. 9 and Jan. 13-Jan. 16.
Razak's trial continues to add chapters to the ongoing 1MDB saga, which has captured the attention of the world as its reach has spread from Malaysia all the way to Hollywood.
Red Granite have already paid out $60 million to settle a claim that financing for The Wolf of Wall Street had come from cash lifted from the sovereign wealth fund.
In July 2016 the Department of Justice filed the largest forfeiture complaint in U.S. history, citing $1 billion of assets alleged to have been funded by the 1MDB theft.
Assets seized included Aziz's mansion in Beverly Hills and Park Laurel condominium in New York; Low's Hollywood Hills mansion and Time Warner Center apartment in Manhattan; plus all future profits from The Wolf of Wall Street.
The film made $392 million on release in 2013 and it picked up five Oscar nominations, including one for best actor for its lead Leonardo DiCaprio.
The actor found himself embroiled in the scandal when it was revealed Low had lavished a trove of gifts on him, including a Pablo Picasso painting bought for $3.28 million, a Basquiat collage $9,191,040, and the best actor Oscar won by Marlon Brando for his performance in On the Waterfront. DiCaprio voluntarily surrendered the items listed to the government.
Tom Holland is reacting to the news that his Spider-Man character will return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe by letting Martin Scorsese’s “The Wolf Of Wall Street” do all the talking. The 23-year-old actor uploaded a famous scene from Scorsese’s 2013 black comedy in which Leonardo DiCaprio’s Jordan Belfort addresses his employees and passionately screams he won’t be leaving the company. Referencing DiCaprio’s epic “Wall Street” rant makes it clear just how excited Holland is to be returning to the MCU.
Disney and Sony jointly announced September 27 they reached a new deal to share Holland’s Spider-Man. The character will appear in a third movie set in the MCU following “Spider-Man: Homecoming” and “Spider-Man: Far From Home.” The latter tentpole was released over the summer and earned over $1 billion at the worldwide box office.
News of another Holland-starring “Spider-Man” movie in the MCU is a welcome relief to fans who were worried about what would happen to the character under the sole ownership of Sony. Holland’s character has become a breakout favorite under the development of Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios. Sony and Disney announced in late August it had failed to reach new terms for sharing the Spider-Man character, thus removing Holland’s superhero from the MCU in the future. The new deal brings the character back for a third standalone movie and one other MCU movie start speculating now, fans.
Popular on Indiewire ; Related 100 Years of United Artists: The 50 Films That Define the Game-Changing Studio 'The French Dispatch': Everything You Need to Know About Wes Anderson's New Movie
Holland remained optimistic following the initial news of the Disney-Sony split, telling GQ Style, “I'm not shy about expressing how incredible the last five years have been with Marvel. I've truly had the time of my life, and in so many respects, they have made my dreams come true as an actor. Sony has also been really good to me, and the global success of 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' is a real testament to their support, skill, and commitment. The legacy and future of Spidey rests in Sony's safe hands. I really am nothing but grateful, and I've made friends for life along the way.”
Sony and Disney have set a July 21, 2021 release date for the next “Spider-Man” movie.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Tom Holland @tomholland2013 on Sep 27, 2019 at 8:41am PDT