The first Morbius trailer contained, well, a lot. Jared Leto vamped out while making his move from the DCEU where he played the not-well-received Joker in Suicide Squad to Sony’s Marvel Universe. Leto portrays Michael Morbius, and we saw a flash of Matt Smith’s baddie, but even more mysteriously, the trailer also showed Jared Harris as an expositional character of sorts. He appears to be a mentor to Morbius, who unwittingly turns himself into The Living Vampire in the Spider-Man spinoff movie.
Naturally, speculation ran wild because Harris’ character still remains unnamed on IMDb and elsewhere, and certain fan forums began to speculate that he’ll be playing the a classic Spider-Man villain, Dr. Otto Octavius, a.k.a. “Doctor Octopus.” As much as folks would enjoy or not seeing Harris with bizarre mechanical torso arms, however, this visual is not actually in the cards. As Harris told Variety at Sunday night’s SAGs ceremony, he’s not picking up the Doc Ock mantle:
“No. I love the imagination that the fans have, it’s exciting for me to think about the imagination that that fans have. But yeah no, it’s not.”
There’s something to be said about not overstuffing yet another comic book movie with far too many notorious characters from the source material. It already looks like from the closing moments of the trailer that Michael Keaton might be bringing his Vulture badness to the mix while asking Doc what’s up, so wouldn’t it be nice if Harris simply played a caring mentor? I’d be alright with that, and this might ground the movie more because Leto’s prone to roll up in a big ball and fly around the set, chewing scenery. With all of that said, one also has to be prepared for any Jared Harris character to, well, die. He even recently admitted to The Guardian while promoting Chernobyl that his wife called it a “problem career-wise” that his characters keep biting the dust.
Morbid humor, man, ahead of Morbius‘ descent into theaters on July 31, 2020.
Set to replace the couple's Sussex Royal brand, the not-for-profit organization's activities will include film and TV, according to paperwork filed in the U.S.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have outlined plans for a new charitable foundation called Archewell.
Set to replace their Sussex Royal brand and first reported in The Daily Telegraph Monday, Archewell will reportedly include a multi-media educational empire and wellbeing website.
The couple told the paper that further details about the organization had been delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic, but an announcement would be made "when the time is right."
According to paperwork filed in the United States last month and seen by The Hollywood Reporter, activities under the L.A.-based operation would include the production of "motion picture films, articles, books, audio books, podcasts, audiovisual entertainment, television shows, digital entertainment content, and informational programming."
Since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex first revealed their shocking exit — dubbed "Megxit" — from the U.K. royal family in January and their plan to become financially independent, there has been a great deal of speculation about their next move, and whether they would attempt forge a path in Hollywood, similar to the deal Barack and Michelle Obama's Higher Ground production banner signed with Netflix.
Since then, the couple have moved to L.A. and Markle has recorded the voiceover for the Disney nature documentary Elephant, which recently debuted on Disney+.
Speaking to The Telegraph, the two said that the name Archewell derives from the Greek word meaning source of action, and was the inspiration behind the name of their baby son, Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.
"We connected to this concept for the charitable organization we hoped to build one day, and it became the inspiration for our son's name. To do something of meaning, to do something that matters," they said. "Archewell is a name that combines an ancient word for strength and action, and another that evokes the deep resources we each must draw upon. We look forward to launching Archewell when the time is right."
Source: Hollywood Reporter
On Friday, April 3, Apple TV+ releases all 10 episodes of the first season of its mystery-thriller “Home Before Dark.” Inspired by the life of Hilde Lysiak, a young journalist who gained national notoriety at age nine when she scooped a local homicide case in her Pennsylvania hometown, the Jon M. Chu-directed and executive produced series has already been renewed for a second season.
Created and executive produced by Dana Fox and Dara Resnick, “Home Before Dark” follows Brooklynn Prince as Hilde Lysko, a nine-year-old journalist whose family's cross-country move from New York to her father's Jim Sturgess small Washington hometown leads her to investigate a dark, deeply buried mystery from decades ago.
IndieWire spoke with “Home Before Dark” co-showrunner and co-creator Dana Fox about the series, from the process of making a bingeable mystery-thriller she hadn’t seen before to her transition from comedy to drama to the unexpected “Justified” reunion.
This interview has been edited and condensed for length and clarity.
Getty Images/David Livingston/Stringer
IndieWire: How exactly did you come to co-create “Home Before Dark”? How did you come to Hilde Lysiak’s story?
Fox: Basically, my dear friend Joy Gorman Wettels, who’s an amazing producer — she was my manager for a long time and then she started producing, as well — she was at the Tribeca Awards, and there were a bunch of adults winning awards for cool things. And then, this little nine-year-old girl stood up and gave this incredible speech and was incredibly poised. She started talking about the need for journalists and how important it was to try to find the truth, and it really resonated with Joy. We weren’t even deeply in the times that we are in now, but it’s something that was feeling important already.
And so Joy was talking to the people next to her about how extraordinary this little girl was, and it turned out to be Hilde’s parents. So she joked, “I have a five-year-old, can you come move in with me, and help me raise my daughter, because this girl is amazing.” And so they struck up a conversation, they got along, and eventually, Hilde was featured in the New York Times for essentially scooping her local paper on a murder.
Joy was in a very competitive situation with a lot of other producers and they were all talking to Hilde and her parents on the phone and they had all these conversations. Joy ended up winning the rights and when she did, afterwards she said, “Why did you pick me?” And Hilde’s...