Fox Business Network has severed ties with primetime host Trish Regan, who sparked controversy after claiming that the ongoing coronavirus pandemic was an “impeachment scam” around two weeks ago.
“Fox Business has parted ways with Trish Regan,” the network said in a statement. “We thank her for her contributions to the network over the years and wish her continued success in her future endeavors. We will continue our reduced live primetime schedule for the foreseeable future in an effort to allocate staff resources to continuous breaking news coverage on the coronavirus crisis.”
The network's decision stemmed from an early March segment on “Trish Regan Primetime,” the television host's now-defunct show, where Regan told a multitude of lies about the virus. Regan alleged that Democrats were singularly blaming President Donald Trump for the virus and that Democrats and left-wingers had a “need to create mass hysteria to encourage a market selloff” and “stop the economy,” all while a large graphic titled “CORONAVIRUS IMPEACHMENT SCAM” was displayed onscreen.
Regan announced that her show had been placed on hiatus on March 13, the day she hosted her final show. Regan is one of several Fox personalities and guests who have recently lied and downplayed the dangers of the coronavirus pandemic.
Fox News host Jeanine Pirro downplayed the virus' deadliness in early March, while network host Laura Ingraham, who previously taunted school shooting survivor David Hogg, then 17, for getting rejected from colleges, promoted unproven drugs in response to the pandemic. Sean Hannity previously referred to the coronavirus as a “hoax.” Conservative personality and university heir Jerry Falwell Jr. recently promoted a conspiracy theory on Fox and Friends that the coronavirus was co-created by North Korea and China to assault the United States and, like Regan, suggested that media coverage of the pandemic was politically motivated.
Though Regan's comments about the coronavirus generated particularly strong pushback, they weren't the first time that the television host had generated controversy. Regan's prior segments included accusations that Christine Blasey Ford’s sexual assault claims against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh were politically motivated and a suggestion that Ilhan Omar D-Minnesota — a favorite target for racist attacks by Trump and other prominent conservatives — was antisemitic.
Regan, who joined Fox in 2015, also aired a variety of interviews with conspiracy theorist Jerome Corsi, who has actively promoted the birther conspiracies about President Barack Obama's citizenship, during her time at the network.
“I have enjoyed my time at FOX and now intend to focus on my...
Fox News is putting additional precautions in place for in-office employees, while it is also targeting May 4 for a possible return to work.
Fox News Media CEO Suzanne Scott, in a memo to employees on Friday, wrote that next week they will distribute thermometers to their workforce remaining at 1211 Avenue of the Americas as well as in bureaus. “We ask that everyone coming into our buildings please take your temperature each morning before coming to work — on the advice of several doctors we have been in constant consultation with, anyone with a temperature above 100.4°F should not be reporting to work,” she wrote.
She also said that they are “following the latest CDC protocols on facial masks/coverings and would suggest at this time adhering to wearing a scarf or bandana to cover your nose and mouth if unable to social distance.”
Like other networks, Fox News is reduced its in-office footprint to all but essential employees, while anchors and other on-air talent have been broadcasting from their homes.
Scott wrote, “We would also like to thank everyone who has seamlessly transitioned to telecommuting over the last three weeks. The number of people in NY and DC has steadily declined to only the minimum number of employees needed to execute our content and our remote workflows with departments like MPG and all the editing teams have been successful. To that end, we will be targeting Monday, May 4th for a possible return to work and we will update everyone on that over the next few weeks.”
Scott held a conference call with employees on Friday to update them.
“While our new normal has led to long hours and more work for those getting our linear networks on air every day, my heartfelt gratitude goes to the dedicated teams who have continued to come to 1211 and all of those working in bureaus who have coordinated teams in the field each day to ensure we are able to meet the needs of delivering the news 24/7,” she wrote.
Her complete memo is below:
First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for their incredible dedication and hard work throughout this escalating pandemic, which is why I convened this morning's company-wide employee address via conference call.
In this time of an unprecedented health and economic crisis, it's our job to provide a public service to our viewers and it has been inspiring to see us come together for the benefit of the American people. Last night's amazing virtual town hall anchored by Martha MacCallum in conjunction with Facebook exemplified this. Using Portal smart video calling devices for the first time ever across all of our platforms, we provided critical information and answers to viewers' questions from Dr. Deborah Birx and Surgeon General Jerome Adams. I also just finished a...
Disney+ has been in American homes since last fall, but the House of Mouse’s streaming service is only just now starting to expand to international territories.
It’s been one week since Disney+ arrived in Europe, turning The Mandalorian into quite the sensation among viewers in the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Spin, Switzerland, Austria and Ireland. Now even more international markets are getting a taste of the live-action Star Wars series, with Disney+ launch in India, which was previously delayed from debuting on March 29, starting today.
Deadline has word on the India launch of Disney+ happening today. The debut of the streaming service was pushed back due to complications caused by the coronavirus pandemic, but the delay ended up not being extensive at all, which is good news for viewers in India who are anxious to start streaming.
In India, Disney’s streaming service will actually be called Disney+ Hotstar. That’s because Disney acquired Hotstar, India’s biggest streaming service, when they picked up Fox’s entertainment assets in their big merger. This will make India’s version of Disney+ significantly different from others.
Disney+ Hotstar will have three different subscription tiers for viewers to sign up for: Disney+ Hotstar VIP, Disney+ Hotstar Premium, and an ad-supported basic version of Disney+ Hotstar. Depending on your subscription tier, viewers will get access to not only Disney+ original programming and the movies of Marvel Studios, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation, but also Bollywood movies and even US shows from HBO, Fox and Showtime.The Mandalorian Launches Big on Disney+ in Europe
While Disney+ is just launching in India, it’s already comfortable across Europe after launching a week and a half ago. The service is now available in the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Spin, Switzerland, Austria and Ireland, and The Mandalorian is already a huge hit, based on what TV research company Parrot Analytics calls “demand expressions.”
Deadline has word from Parrot Analytics that the premiere of the first two episodes of The Mandalorian resulted in 33 million demand expressions, which comes from looking at data across social media, video streaming, photo sharing, blogging and research platforms. And that was just on March 24 when Disney+ launched in those territories. That’s not bad considering they’ve had months to pirate the series following its debut in the United States.
However, it should be noted that some demand expressions are not as valuable in measuring the impact of a television series. That’s because social media engagements aren’t indicative of engagement with a series, as in actually watching the show in question. But even so, the fact that so many people are talking about the series...
EXCLUSIVE: 20th Century Fox TV is developing an adaptation of Michael Arceneaux's memoir I Can't Date Jesus: Love, Sex, Family, Race and Other Reasons I've Put My Faith in Beyonce with Jerrod Carmichael, Lee Daniels and Marc Velez.
Deadline understands that the project is set to hit the cable and streaming market as a half-hour series.
The book, which was published by Simon & Schuster in July 2018, is a collection of 17 autobiographical essays from Arceneaux. The deal comes as Arceneaux’s second book, I Don't Want to Die Poor, an essay collection which chronicles his struggles with private student loans and economic anxiety, is published today April 7 by Simon & Schuster.Simon & Schuster
Arceneaux will adapt and executive produce alongside Carmichael, and Lee Daniels and Marc Velez of Lee Daniels Entertainment. UTA brokered the deal on Arceneaux's behalf.
The book looks at life in today's America with Arceneaux learning to embrace his identity when the world told him to do the opposite, leaving no bigoted or ignorant stone unturned. He discusses coming out to his mother, growing up in Houston, Texas, being approached for the priesthood, his obstacles in embracing intimacy that occasionally led to unfortunate fights with fire ants, and the persistent challenges of young people who feel marginalized and denied the chance to pursue their dreams.
Arceneaux is represented by UTA, Jermaine Johnson at 3Arts, attorney Loan Dang, and Jim McCarthy at Dystel, Goderich & Bourrett. Carmichael is represented by UTA and attorney PJ Shapiro at Ziffren Brittenham. Daniels is represented by WME, Alex Kovacs at Untitled Entertainment, and attorney Matthew Levy at Hansen, Jacobson, Teller, Hoberman, Newman, Warren, Richman, Rush, Kaller & Gellman.