Dinosaur fans were given a little gift recently when it was revealed that Colin Trevorrow, director of Jurassic World, has filmed a new short set within the franchise. Battle at Big Rock: A Jurassic World Short Film is set to arrive this weekend and came as something of a surprise, even though it was revealed in February that a short was in the works. At the time it was said it would be attached to Hobbs & Shaw. That proved not to be the case. In any event, Trevorrow has now shared new details about the project.
Battle at Big Rock will air on FX this Sunday and will be made available online immediately after. During a recent interview, Colin Trevorrow explained that the short takes place a year after the events of last year's Fallen Kingdom, which means dinosaurs will be out in the real world alongside humans. Here's what he had to say about it.
"Battle At Big Rock is a short film that takes place one year after the events of Fallen Kingdom. It's about a family on a camping trip to Big Rock National Park, about 20 miles from where the last film ended. There have been a few sightings, but this is the first major confrontation between dinosaurs and humans."
The script for the short was written by Colin Trevorrow and Emily Carmichael, who is also working on the script for Jurassic World 3. The cast includes Andre Holland, Natalie Martinez, Melody Hurd and Pierson Salvador. Trevorrow also revealed that the short will be eight minutes long.
"It's 8 minutes. It was supposed to be shorter. I know 8 minutes is an eternity on the internet, but I hope people will set some time aside and put on a good pair of headphones."
Under a pretty heavy veil of secrecy, Trevorrow and a small crew filmed the short in Dublin, Ireland earlier this year. This is quite unique, in that Universal Pictures put some serious resources into this short. It features a "giant animatronic dinosaur," for one, which isn't something most short films can claim. Trevorrow also revealed we will see two new species of dinosaur in the short.
"There are two species we've never seen before. The Nasutoceratops, which is a beautiful herbivore that feels like a Texas Longhorn. And the Allosaurus, one of the most iconic dinosaurs of all time. This one was a juvenile in the last movie. She's all grown up now."
At the very least, this sounds like an interesting experiment that can help fill the dino-sized void in our lives until Jurassic World 3 arrives on June 11, 2021. Colin Trevorrow is gearing up to shoot the sequel in the near future and says we'll "hear more about it soon," but isn't ready to dish out any concrete details just yet. This news comes to us via Collider.
Though the ongoing global situation may have forced us all into our homes for the foreseeable future, as well as putting Hollywood on pause, this clearly will not stop Jurassic World 3 director Colin Treverrow from working on the upcoming monster movie sequel. Treverrow took to social media to reveal that he is still actively working on the movie, but like many others in Hollywood, he's having to do it from the safety of his own home.
In the post, Colin Trevorrow also appears to show an image from the upcoming Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom follow-up which shows a figure with a bike near a warehouse of some kind amid what is likely to be some dino-caused debris. Sadly, Treverrow's accompanying caption gives nothing away.
'Working from home. #JurassicWorld.'
Presently, specific plot details for Jurassic World: Dominion are being kept tightly under wraps, but, Fallen Kingdom picked up three years since theme park and luxury resort Jurassic World was destroyed by dinosaurs out of containment. With Isla Nublar now sitting abandoned by humans, the surviving dinosaurs fend for themselves in the jungles, but when the island's dormant volcano begins roaring to life, Owen and Claire mount a campaign to rescue the remaining dinosaurs from this extinction-level event. The movie ends with man and dinosaur being forced to share the world after the genetically-engineered dinosaurs are unleashed into the wild.
So far, set photos from the movie have shown a mountain range covered in snow, which would be a huge departure for the franchise, which usually focusses on warm, tropical settings. Treverrow has also said of the upcoming entry to the franchise that Jurassic World: Dominion will do 'something that we haven't seen before'. Though, rest assured, there will no doubt still be plenty of dinosaur-related action.
The movie is also set to bring back many of the beloved characters from earlier installments, including Jurassic Park alums Laura Dern as Ellie Sattler, Sam Neill as Alan Grant, and Jeff Goldblum as Ian Malcolm, all of whom are returning as their characters from the 1993 original movie.
Running from dinosaurs alongside them will be a returning Bryce Dallas Howard as Claire Dearing and Chris Pratt as Owen Grady, reprising their roles from the other Jurassic World movies. The movie will also star Jake Johnson, Omar Sy, Daniella Pineda, and Justice Smith. Newcomers DeWanda Wise, Mamoudou Athie, Dichen Lachman, and BD Wong as the villainous Dr. Henry Wu, the geneticist that first appeared in the original Jurassic Park and returned for the 2015 film and its 2018 sequel.
Phew, that is quite the cast. Which is fitting when you consider that Chris Pratt has compared Jurassic World: Dominion to another massive franchise, that of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and specifically last year's Avengers: Endgame.
'And so it's going to feel very much how Endgame brought everything...